With an internationally acclaimed wine country, towering redwoods and picturesque seaside villages, Mendocino County offers visitors a unique Northern California experience. Meandering roads wind through deep valleys, rolling vineyards and awe-inspiring forests. This big, undeveloped county lets visitors escape into solitude and tranquility, all while providing a world-class travel experience. An area this vast and varied pays greater rewards the longer you stay. To truly immerse oneself in the magic that is Mendocino, a visit to both the bucolic Anderson Valley wine country as well as the quaint Northern Mendocino Coast is ideal, and this winter, two of the region’s most celebrated lodging destinations — Brewery Gulch Inn and The Madrones– have teamed up to offer visitors a “Land & Sea” package that highlights the best of both worlds.
Perched high on a bluff top overlooking Smuggler’s Cove and the Pacific Ocean, the Brewery Gulch Inn is a one-of-a-kind bed-and-breakfast property that reigns cathedral-like over the dramatic Northern Mendocino coast. Constructed in 2001 from 150-year old redwood reclaimed from the nearby Big River, this architectural masterpiece boasts a 15-foot cathedral ceiling in the Great Room, complete with a stunning, four-sided glass-and-steel fireplace, 10 romantic rooms with all the modern amenities, three extraordinary acres of mature pines and redwoods, wooded glens, wetland ponds, gardens, and a plethora of blooming rhododendrons, and a full-time executive chef that will tempt your taste buds with an extensive array of culinary offerings, from a complimentary cooked-to-order breakfast to an innovative dinner buffet, both of which focus on locally-sourced, organic ingredients.
Located in the Anderson Valley, The Madrones is the vision of designer and lifestyle entrepreneur Jim Roberts. The Mediterranean compound serves as a community outpost for local artisans; home to four vintners (Bink Wines, Drew Family Cellars, Knez Winery, and Signal Ridge), a rural lifestyle shop, a wood fired Pizzeria (Stone & Embers) opening late summer 2013, several estate guest quarters, a culinary kitchen garden for local produce, serene courtyards and carefully manicured English gardens. The Madrones and its artisan partners have created the Anderson Valley definition of an Italian “Agriturismo”, a destination that offers a slice of localized country living with a focus on the region’s wine, food, arts and beauty. Located just outside of Philo, guests are welcome to visit the property and the four tasting rooms Thursday through Sunday from 10–5pm. Please visit the website for a list of seasonal events and classes held at the property or if you would like to make a reservation for one of Estate Guest Quarters.
The Land & Sea package includes two nights at Brewery Gulch Inn along the rugged Mendocino Coast and two nights at The Madrones in the Anderson Valley (five days and four nights total), and is priced at $1,425 (not inclusive of taxes).
The Land & Sea package includes:
At Brewery Gulch Inn (800.578.4454)
- 2 night accommodations in an ocean-view corner king featuring a two-person tub, private deck, fireplace and a flat panel television/DVD player
- Full breakfast each morning
- Buffet dinner with local wines and beers each evening
- $50 credit at the ocean-view restaurant Wild Fish
- Outrigger canoeing on the Big River for 3 hours; or
- 2 hour whale watching trip aboard a local charter boat
- Memento of your stay at the Brewery Gulch Inn
- Guests will also have the ability to book the following packages for an additional fee: Mushroom foraging; artist studio tour; crabbing; bird watching
At The Madrones (707.895.2955)
- 2 night accommodations in one of their Estate guest quarters
- 3 Course Dinner for two at Stone and Embers located on the property
- A fireside chat and demonstration with Chef Meany while enjoying a local glass of wine as he discusses his techniques and passions in Stone and Embers Wood fired kitchen (by reservation only)
- Complimentary Bottle of Wine from one of the esteemed Vintners at The Madrones
- Tasting Passes for two at all four tasting rooms located on The Madrones property
- Winery tour and barrel tasting at Balo Vineyards
- Keepsake gift from The Madrones’ Sun & Cricket store
- Guests will also be able to book a winter workshops such as “Wood-fired Bread Making” or “Wine Sensory Evaulation.” (advanced reservation required)
The fine print for both properties:
- Package is available December through April. Blackout periods are December 1-5; December 22-January 2; January 17-20; February 14-17.
Winter is a magical time in Mendocino County, and the Land & Sea package invites visitors to experience the best that this undiscovered gem of California has to offer.